I love to tie american classics. The Humpy is a great attractor for all trout. It’s a rough-water fly and works well on faster waters where the trout is in a hurry to decide what to do. According to a definition on Wikipedia the word humpy means a shelter made from branches and bark. It is also an urban slang for a man with lots of muscles. I guess the fly has its name from the hump on its back.
The ones pictured here are tied on TMC 100 sz.14. I also tie it in sz.16. It is not a particularly easy fly to tie,but all the more rewarding. Some thinks it gets better the more worn and torn it gets. The red and the yellow are my favourites, but it can be tied in many different colors.