I love to tie american classics. The Humpy is a great attractor for all trout. It’s a rough-water fly and works well on faster waters where the trout is in a hurry to decide what to do. According to a definition on Wikipedia the word humpy means a shelter made from branches and bark. It is also an urban slang for a man with lots of muscles. I guess the fly has its name from the hump on its back.
The ones pictured here are tied on TMC 100 sz.14. I also tie it in sz.16. It is not a particularly easy fly to tie,but all the more rewarding. Some thinks it gets better the more worn and torn it gets. The red and the yellow are my favourites, but it can be tied in many different colors.

6 thoughts on “Humpy…

  1. Thanks again! On the original pattern the body was made of floss, but I use ordinary tying thread. It is more durable. I´m thinking of adding the pattern descriptions to the posts…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s